Related topics: 100th Update Preview
August 2008 - Announcements Page
Special thanks to Frelorn for all his hard work!
Town Crier Rumors
UPDATE: The Viamontian Town Criers and Mainland Town Criers have merged together:
- Town Crier tells you, "Due to the recent detente between King Varicci and Queen Elysa, all the realm's town criers share the same news. I applaud our ruler's wisdom for reaching across the Halaetan Straits to make peace with our neighbor, in this time of peril."
- Town Crier tells you, "The realm is united! The realm of town criers, that is. In light of improving relations between Queen Elysa and King Varicci, and with the realm riven by mysterious and powerful secret orders, the heraldic guilds have decided to merge, and deliver the news with one voice."
- Town Crier tells you, "A great advancement! Scholars report that they have made a breakthrough and can now cast eighth-level spells! It may not be easy to learn how to cast them yourself, however..."
- Town Crier tells you, "There's a newly discovered island to the south of Dereth. Rumors are that it's home to a bunch of Moarsmen, but very few people seem to know how to get there..."
- Town Crier tells you, "There's a newly discovered island off the southeastern coast of Dereth, but as yet we don't seem to know how to get there or what lives there."
- Town Crier tells you, "The Empyrean Graveyard of the Direlands seems to have... expanded, and the Societies are sending more and more of their scouts through the area. A troublesome development, don't you think?"
- Town Crier tells you, "News! There's been a lot of new activity on the Dark Isle. It seems the three Societies are quite interested in that island."
- Town Crier tells you, "You've heard of the three new secret societies of Dereth, yes? The Celestial Hand, the Eldrytch Web, and the Radiant Blood have started openly recruiting. They've each sent a recruiter to one of the mainland capital cities. I'd want to visit all three towns to speak to each recruiter and see what they're about."
- Town Crier tells you, "It seems even richer loot than ever before is available, but opportunities to get at this inconceivable level of loot seem scarce. I wonder how to get a crack at some of that treasure?"
- Town Crier tells you, "Adventurers have come across a new strong castle in the northernmost mountains of Dereth. It's called Northwatch keep, and apparently it is the site of some squabbling between the three new Societies."
- Town Crier tells you, "News! A mysterious organization of smugglers and thieves has opened up a couple of black market trading posts. They claim no allegiance to any ruler or society, but they offer their business to whichever society is strong enough to control their local town."
- Town Crier tells you, "Heard about that new island of Moarsmen to the south, eh? I know it's south of the land bridge, but I think you have to be an advanced member of one of the Societies to get there."
- Town Crier tells you, "The three new clandestine Societies of Dereth have started recruiting! The Celestial Hand's recruiter is stationed in Hebian-To, the Eldrytch Web's recruiter is in Cragstone, and the Radiant Blood posted their recruiter to Zaikhal."
- Town Crier tells you, "Have you heard about Northwatch Castle? It's way up in the wild northern mountains, northeast of Mount Esper. Apparently the three Societies are fighting over who gets to keep it, because whoever owns it gets access to the black market trading post there."
- Town Crier tells you, "That newly discovered Freebooter Isle, so I've heard, is home to Moars, Moarsmen, and terrifying armored Sclavus, among other things. There's also some kind of fortress out there that the three Societies keep fighting over. Even more interesting, there's a black market trading post attached to the fortress. Too bad you have to be an advanced member of one of the Societies to get there."
- Town Crier tells you, "The Empyrean Graveyard of the Direlands is even busier than ever! The grounds seem to have mysteriously expanded somehow, and new creatures have turned up... But most interesting, the three Societies have their newest acolytes scouring the grounds there for various items."
- Town Crier tells you, "The Dark Isle is alight with activity again! The three societies are sending some of their newer recruits on missions to the island to make them prove their worth."
- Town Crier tells you, "The Black Market offers some incredible items that only they know how to get at their outposts on Freebooter Isle and in Northwatch Castle. Unfortunately, your Society has to be in control of that location in order to gain access to the Black Market's amazing wares."
- Town Crier tells you, "I've heard tell that there's treasure and loot out there bearing even more powerful enchantments than we've ever seen, but it's all locked up in chests... I think the Societies have the best line on getting at that loot, but there are opportunities for the unaligned to get keys as well..."
- Ulgrim the Unpleasant tells you, "Oh ho! So the town crier guilds of the mainland and of the Viamontian realm have decided to stop competing with each other, eh? I don't trust consolidation in the media, kid, and neither should you. This is the latest Virindi sneak attempt to turn our brains to applesauce."
- Ulgrim the Unpleasant tells you, "You tell me there's even richer loot than we've ever seen, sitting around Dereth locked up in chests? Inconceivable!"
- Ulgrim the Unpleasant tells you, "Those new spells that everyone's going on about? You can thank me for those. Yep, I decided to finally get off my duff and write out a new set of spells. I know, I know, I'm such a great guy... The kind of great guy who deserves a free mug of stout now and again, I dare say."
- Ulgrim the Unpleasant tells you, "Oh yeah, I'm starting a secret society of my own. It's called the Ancient and Benevolent Knights of the Empty Mug. We quest to empty every mug in Dereth. The Celestial Hand, the Radiant Blood, the Eldrytch Web... those folks are all capable, I'm sure, but not a one of them can outdrink an Empty Mugger. You can curry favor with our society by bringing me a mug of stout to empty."
- Ulgrim the Unpleasant tells you, "There's so much going on! I almost can't keep track of the new developments, what with the Societies recruiting, the black markets opening, the new islands sprouting up, new spells... My old mind is overheating. A cool mug of stout would sure cool me off. That was a hint, kid."
- Ulgrim the Unpleasant tells you, "You know, right around the time the town crier guilds from the mainland and the Viamontian lands decided to merge, they invited me to join their new organization. I guess they think I'm one of them because I sit here and try to tell it like it is. But I'm not one of them. I speak higher truths. They're all so tediously absorbed in 'reality' and 'truth' and nonsense like that."
- Ulgrim the Unpleasant tells you, "I hear there's even more going on at the Graveyard these days. I even heard that the Graveyard's borders have expanded. Pretty scary, isn't it? You wouldn't think that, in a land where everyone's kinda immortal, that mortuaries would be a growth industry."
- Ulgrim the Unpleasant tells you, "Ah, you've proven yourself worthy to join the Ancient and Benevolent Knights of the Empty Mug. Feel free to go around and tell people that you're a Knight of the Empty Mug. I'd show you our secret handshake, but really it only works when you're blind, stumbling drunk."
- Ulgrim the Unpleasant tells you, "Just kidding! Boy, how gullible are you? There's no such secret society! Really, the very idea."
- Ulgrim the Unpleasant tells you, "Don't ask me how to get to Freebooter Isle. It actually used to be my vacation home, before I lost the deed in a poker game. I'm very bitter about it, and only the sweet sweet taste of stout makes me forget. So no, I'm not going to tell you how to get there. I'll tell you where to go, all right, but you won't like it."
- Ulgrim the Unpleasant tells you, "I talked to one of those Society recruiters the other day. Asked him why he joined his Society. He said something about wanting to secure Dereth for the greater good, defending against outside threats. He babbled a lot. Finally I asked him what kind of beer they serve in the Society tavern, and he had the effrontery to call me a useless drunk! So I teleported him over Fort Tethana. I'd rather be a useless drunk than a flattened pile of gore in the middle of Teth."
- Ulgrim the Unpleasant tells you, "Moarsman Island? Yeah, I know how to get there. You run west from here until you reach the coast, then take a left turn, follow the curve until it flattens out, then take a right and swim until you hit the shore of the new island. Watch for the ziggurats. Simple! Why is it so hard for people to figure out?"
- Ulgrim the Unpleasant tells you, "Oh yeah, I went up to Northwatch Castle once. Met that fella Oswald there. We played dice and drank a few rounds together, but ultimately I decided I didn't want to hang out there too long. All the factional violence was starting to get a little off-putting, especially when someone got blood on my nice new white pants."
- Ulgrim the Unpleasant tells you, "You know my cousin MacTavish runs one of the black market outposts, right? He's such a thief. If it weren't for my other cousins MacDugal and MacNiall, MacTavish would be the black sheep of the family. They're all black sheep too. So maybe I'm the white sheep. Or the grey sheep. Yeah, my nephew Ardry would be the white sheep, if he weren't spattered with blood and mud all the time."
- Ulgrim the Unpleasant tells you, "Why are you so interested in sheep anyway?"
- Ulgrim the Unpleasant tells you, "Ulgrim the Archmage, Master of Time and Space, Leader of the Virindi Resistance, Master Tinkerer, Seer of Truths, Lord of the Jewelry, Supreme Peppermint Cook, Celebrations Advisor to the Queen, Chess Grandmaster, the Shadow Tested, Virindi Regulator and Beer Lord. Yes, that fits nicely with my other titles."
- Ulgrim the Unpleasant tells you, "Oh yeah, you'll need a Mana Scarab to cast those fancy new spells. Don't ask me how to get them. Once I invented those new spells, I thought it would be too showy if I went around using them all the time, so I don't even carry a Mana Scarab with me. I am the soul of moderation. Now get me another drink, kid!"
Ulgrim the Unpleasant tells you, "Feels like I've been here a hundred years. The actual number is probably closer to 8 or 9 years, but yeah, it feels like a hundred years. I think I'll perk myself up by trying to drink a hundred mugs of stout today. A hundred stouts for a hundred years! Doesn't that sound grand?"
- Ulgrim interrupts his quiet conversation and yells, "That's right! A hundred! Who else can say a hundred! No one's got the fortitude I do, to stand up to a hundred beers!"
Grand Masterful Poobah Ulgrim has accepted <Player Name> into the Order of the Empty Mug and conferred the title Happy Hundredth upon the lucky supplicant!
- Ulgrim the Unpleasant tells you, "Ooh, you're a lucky one, and you know why? You've given me my hundredth stout of the day! Or close enough, anyway. I stopped counting after about fifty. You actually get to join the Knights of the Empty Mug. Membership confers no bonuses other than a neat title."
- Ulgrim the Unpleasant tells you, "Here's a toast to you, kid."
New UI and Game Changes
- Attribute and Skill Redistribution Timers Rest
- The Temples of Forgetfulness and Enlightenment have had the timer for their use reset due to gameplay changes made in the August 2008 update.
- Land Control introduced.
- Examine Target Panel
- When a character is ID'd in game the faction will be displayed and if the same faction as yourself it will be green text, if an opposing faction, red text.
- Global Chat Channels
- Society Channel added for chat amongst other members of your faction.
- Loot System
- Loot Tier 7 introduced.
- Olthoi Armor (Loot)
- Olthoi Alduressa Armor.
- Olthoi Amuli Armor
- Olthoi Celdon Armor
- Olthoi Koujia Armor
- New Max Weapon/Caster Stats
- See Loot#Weapons for the new max stats of tier 7 loot found in Mana Forge and Faction Stronghold chests.
- See the Gallery below for examples of the new loot tier.
- New Item Sets
Initiate Level Quests
- Shambling Archivist Destroyer
- Dark Isle Delivery
- Defeating Vaeshok
- Undead Jaw Collection
- Wight Blade Sorcerer Kill Task
- Adept Test (Advancement Quest)
Adept Level Quests
- Graveyard Delivery
- Tracing The Stone
- Dark Isle Scouting
- Falatacot Report Collector
- Black Coral Collection
- Knight Test (Advancement Quest)
Knight Level Quests
- Defeating Bandit Mana Hunter Boss
- Glowing Jungle Lily Collector
- Glowing Moar Gland Collector
- Blessed Moarsman Kill Task
- Mana-Infused Jungle Flower Collector
- Lord Test (Advancement Quest)
Lord Level Quests
- Magshuth Moarsmen Kill Task
- Moguth Moarsman Kill Task
- Shoguth Moarsman Kill Task
- Coral Tower Destroyer
- High Priest of T'thuun Kill Task
- Moarsman Spawning Pools
- Artifact Collection
- Master Test (Advancement Quest)
Master Level Quests
- 2008/08 - Blighted Moarsmen Raids
- August 30th - ?
- A small horde of Blighted Moarsmen are attacking Shoushi! Help is requested!
- September 1st - Leafcull
- A small horde of Blighted Moarsmen are attacking Qalaba’r! Help is requested!
- Tainted Ley Line Nodes Updated - All six nodes completed and Node Golems in place for all servers.
- Ancient Cloister - 82.5S 96.1E on Ithaenc Island (150+)
- Celestial Hand Stronghold - 39.7S 83.6E in Hebian-To (180+)
- Corrupted Catacombs - 23.9S, 54.1E near Sawato (180+)
- Eldrytch Web Stronghold - 26.3N, 49.6E in Cragstone (180+)
- Mana Forge - Cragstone - 25.7N 48.3E; Hebian-To - 39.8S 81.2E; Zaikhal - 13.4N 0.5E
- Massilor's Crypt - 65.4S 43.6W in Graveyard (180+)
- Moarsmen Priory - from the Blighted Verdant Moarsman Tunnels
- Northwatch Castle - 81.5N, 25E near Neydisa Castle
- Northwatch Castle Black Market - 81.5N 25E (Inside cave)
- Radiant Blood Stronghold - 12.8N, 0.7E in Zaikhal (180+)
- Rogue Delvings - 74.7N, 18.4E near Neydisa Castle (180+)
- Statue of Transport - 82.6S, 88.8E near Ithaenc Cathedral
- The Pit of Heretics - 88.0S, 55.0W near Candeth Keep
- Temple Door
- Vaeshok's Cave
- Wight Barrow - 65.3S 44.6W in Graveyard (No Req)
- Freebooter Isle (access via Statue of Transport - 82.6S, 88.8E) (180+ Knight Faction Rank)
- Moarsman Island
- Acolyte's Chamber
- Artifact Collection
- Chamber of the High Priest's First
- Chamber of the High Priest's Second
- Chamber of the High Priest's Third
- Moarsman Spawning Pools
- Temple of Tthuun
- Nyr'leha shrines
- 92.9S, 55.5W - Shrine of the Sacred Deep Water
- 93.5S, 57.4W - Shrine of the Blood Pearl
- 92.2S, 52.8W - Shrine of the Temple Horn
- 92.6S, 54.1W - Shrine of the Coral's Heart
- 91.0s, 51.9W - Shrine of the Eye of T'thuun
- 92.5S, 48.6W - Shrine of the Skull of Mishfain
- 93.3S, 51.0W - Shrine of the Finger Bone of Mishfain
- 93.4S, 52.9W - Shrine of the Scroll of Prophecy
- 92.2S, 51.2W - Shrine of Hagrafash's Tooth Necklace
- 93.6S, 54.4W - Shrine of the Spear of Baalforth, the Slayer
- Graveyard - Extended to the south valley with many more rat spawns.
- Arcanum Broker - (Cragstone - 25.7N 48.3E); (Hebian-To - 39.8S 81.2E); (Zaikhal - 13.4N 0.5E)
- Arcanum Mana-smith - (Cragstone - 25.7N 48.3E); (Hebian-To - 39.8S 81.2E); (Zaikhal - 13.4N 0.5E)
- Arturus of the Eldrytch Web - 26.3N 49.6E in Cragstone
- Ayesha of the Radiant Blood - 12.8N 0.7E in Zaikhal
- Kirina of the Celestial Hand - 39.7S 83.6E in Hebian-To
- Gaston Shadowbound - 59.8S 88.0W in Ayan Baqur
- Massilor the Withered
- See Spell Research for a list of the new spell components and their usage.
|Slimy Key||Corrupted Mana Shard||Initiate's Treasure Key||Altered Dark Remoran Fin|
|Pyre Skeleton Jaw||Donnarion's Key||Haroush's Key||Joroshi's Key|
|Benedino's Letter||Lens of Filinuvekta||Adept's Treasure Key|
|Glowing Jungle Lily||Glowing Moar Gland||Mana-Infused Jungle Flower||Amulet of T'thuun|
|Blood of T'thuun||Dagger of T'thuun||Brood Mother's Reckoning||Lord's Treasure Key|
See Spell Research for scroll creation
- Incantation of Nullify All Magic Self (Dispels VIII and below)
See VIII Creature Scrolls for a complete list of player castable spells.
- Epic Endurance (+20 Endurance)
- Epic Dagger Aptitude (+20 Dagger Skill)
- Epic Jumping Prowess (+20 Jumping Skill)
- Epic War Magic Aptitude (+20 War Magic)
- Society Initiate's Blessing (+2 to all Attributes)
- Society Adept's Blessing (+4 to all Attributes)
- Society Knight's Blessing (+6 to all Attributes)
- Society Lord's Blessing (+8 to all Attributes)
- Society Master's Blessing (+10 to all Attributes)
See VIII Item Scrolls for a complete list of player castable spells.
- Epic Acid Bane (+20% Acid)
- Epic Blood Thirst (+7 Damage)
- Epic Defender (+7% Melee)
- Epic Heart Thirst (+7% Attack)
- Epic Slashing Bane (+20% Slashing)
- Incantation of Blood Drinker (+24 Damage) (not player castable)
- Incantation of Spirit Drinker (+7% Elemental Damage) (Same as VII) (not player castable)
See VIII Life Scrolls for a complete list of player castable spells.
See VIII War Scrolls for a complete list of player castable spells.
- Grand Masterful Poobah Ulgrim has accepted <Your Name> into the Order of the Empty Mug and conferred the title Happy Hundredth upon the lucky supplicant!
In commemoration of the 100th patch (may only be available this month).
New Loot Gallery
Examples of loot items from the new loot tier: Click image for full size.
- The Promotions Officer uses code instead of speech for rank advancement:
- Commendations Officer tells you, "Please speak with <Rank 2 Gateway Quest NPC>, here in this Stronghold."
- Globals for taking a PK land control area seem to be jumbled. For example taking the Northwatch fort gives a global for Freebooter Isle.
- Impen 8 spell appears to increase armor value by 220, which is the same as Impen 7.
- NPC Shopkeeper Polly of the Celestial Hand Stronghold uses the dialog from the shopkeeper of Sanamar:
- Shopkeeper Polly tells you, "Feel free to peruse my wares. But know this; one day the King will crush your weeping Queen. And you Bloodless will take your rightful place in the pits of the Eaters."
- NPC Farnor the Archmage of the Celestial Hand Stronghold uses the dialog from Fadsahil al-Tashbi the Master Archmage.
- Farnor the Archmage tells you, "You have traveled far...How can I serve thee?"
- Burden does not drop with a full pack and usting. Link
- You can not turn in society gaunts or soles for coins as stated in Society Handbook.
- Currently all NPCs beyond sollerets and gauntlets say you must be a Lord, contrary to the information contained in the Initiate's Handbook. This appears to just be a dialog typo as a player was able to get the greaves after advancing to Adept.
- The edge effects appear to be bugged with the spell component quill icons, they do not change when adding a mana scarab to infuse. It appears as if it was intended that they change (the Quill of Extraction has the standard black edge which I suspect was meant to be for all four quills as you find them, while the other three quills have a magic white edge effect which I suspect was intended for when they have been infused.)
- The Society armor chests seem to be weighted to generate armor with a certain racial requirement. Blood seems to generate more Gharu'ndim reqs, Web generate Aluvian, and Hand generate Sho.
- The dungeon by the Mage Academy is referred to as the Rogue Delvings by the keys inside it, but the portal is called the Corrupted Catacombs.
- The new intro music/splash plays even if sound is turned off.
- The attribute beer (+50) are overrided by the attribute buff 8 (+45). I.E : Ivory Heavy Bracelet cast Incantation of Endurance Self on you, surpassing Hunter's Hardiness
- When attempting to solve the riddle in the Lord Test, if the answer results in 78, the quest is currently bugged.
- Writ of Authorization - An [sic] writ authorizing...
- Celestial Hand Stronghold Recall Gem - Not a recall gem, a Portal Gem (like Radiant Blood Stronghold Portal Gem).
- When advancing rank, A variable is not replaced in: Commendations Officer tells you, "Please speak with <Rank 2 Gateway Quest NPC>, here in this Stronghold."