October 2000 - Patch Page
Original Link (now dead) - http://classic.zone.msn.com/asheronscall/news/octteaser.asp
October 2, 2000
“Time is not on our side! If things continue on their current path, we are all doomed!”
Gideon looked around the Zaikhal meeting hall, nearly bored to tears. They had been ranting on about the dreaded Hopeslayer for hours. Who cared about the Hopeslayer anyway? If this Bael'Zharon was going to arrive, wouldn't he have gotten here already?
Gideon stood, throwing his hands up in the air in disgust. “Why don't you people live a little! Other things are out there besides those Shadows and their shiny floating crystals.” The chatter in the room stopped almost instantly. Shocked faces regarded Gideon incredulously.
“I imagine that most of you probably don't know this, but we do have other enemies besides them. Any creature with a weapon or spell can kill you, and I assure you, there are creatures other than Shadows capable of wielding both.
“The monsters all over Dereth are getting better organized. Little camps of mosswarts have begun appearing on the countryside, which means we may start seeing monster fortifications in the near future.”
Gideon shouldered his crossbow and began to walk toward the exit portal.
“And in case you've forgotten, it is harvest time -- grain and pumpkins are being harvested under the glowing, watchful eyes of scarecrows. There is a keg in every town, and a festive feel to the air. Speaking of which, I know it has probably been quite a while since any of you have seen a member of the opposite sex, but they are out there you know. Live a little.
“And it probably wouldn't hurt for you to dress a little better, too. I hear they have some new outfits that might even make scholars look good.”
And with that, Gideon exited the meeting hall, leaving a stunned silence behind him.
With the one-year anniversary of Asheron's Call fast approaching, we're set to open the next of our major monthly events. Look for “Hollow Victory” to soon begin! As fall colors arrive in Dereth, so too do other startling changes. Continue your part in this incredible on-going story, within the next of the world-altering events happening each and every month, and we'll see you in Dereth!
Original Link (now dead) - http://classic.zone.msn.com/asheronscall/news/octrollout.asp
October 10, 2000
As fall colors arrive in Dereth, so too do other startling changes. Many autumnal additions have been more than welcome -- consider the pumpkin pie, the new dresses, and smiling jack-o-lanterns.
Other changes bode far less than well. Scarecrows have been seen in Dereth, yet ones far more lifelike than any farmer has ever managed to construct. These scarecrows, like the snowmen before them, seem to have taken on a life all their own. What's even worse is that the Virindi puppeteers express a certain interest in the craft, and once the Virindi are involved, no season can be celebrated freely. . .
Continuing with the next of our massive monthly events, the lands of Dereth have changed with the seasonal opening of October's Hollow Victory. After the fall of Arwic and Tufa to the devastating attacks of the Shadow Spires, many a hero rallied to raid the ancient Empyrean storehouses, destroying three more pieces of Bael'Zharon's crystal prison. As if in appreciation, vendors of all remaining towns have begun selling festive steins, for use at celebratory kegs of beer. In addition, and in accordance with an old Isparian holiday, other vendors have begun to craft previously discarded monster heads into truly horrifying masks. Yet even with the loss of two towns, few have succumbed to lengthy mourning. Many have, in fact, put their energies into the resettlement of a previously abandoned town. . . yet resettled in such a way so as not to attract the high-level magic as might have caused the destruction of Arwic. Xarabydun prospers again, promising an oasis for travelers crossing the desert sands, as well as further mystery for those exploring the secrets lying beneath.
Still, can it be said that the season is truly joyous? One brave party claimed to have discerned the location of a mosswart hideout needing to be cleansed from the land. And yet, however prepared these adventurers seemed, with their maps and gear and careful provisioning, none have managed as of yet to find their way back to town.
After the defeat of the Vestibule crystals, the Shadow Spires continue their mercurial shifting, sinking slowly to the ground. Adding true danger to the rampant speculations, fearsome creatures have been spotted, and certain areas have gained an almost feverish increase in the rate of monsters spawning there. Even the mighty tuskers have begun sporting a new fall look. Heroes are advised to grab a beer, craft a mask -- and prepare for the dangers of Dereth this autumn!
Following is a list of the most interesting additions made to the game this update. However, please note that not all changes have been included -- that would spoil the fun of finding out everything that's been added or changed! Also, some changes provide ways for players to drive our evolving story forward, and thus we won't entirely reveal them here. As usual, though, the town criers, barkeeps, and scribes may know the latest news. Also, the trades of crafting and selling are always in flux, so changes to prices and abilities of items are not always listed here in their entirety.
- Tuskers now look fiercer thanks to new art models.
- New monsters have been introduced, including scarecrows.
- An exciting new underground city has been discovered for those who are level 25 and under. Look for its location on the map in the desert of Southern Osteth near the Yushad Ridge. What lies below this city?
- Try carving a jack-o-lantern. They can also be wielded as fun weapons!
- There are now beautiful dresses available for each heritage group.
- New dungeons and quests have been introduced.
- Fear the white rabbit!
- Spell components now weigh less. Mages rejoice. Also, a revolution in component craft makes them easier to carry than ever before.
- Some monsters on the landscape seem to be gathering into little camps. Good hunting has become available to outdoor adventurers.
- Beer kegs and beer steins can now be found at your local taverns.
- There are now more ambient sounds for those running across the lands.
- Arrow and quarrel shafts have been greatly reduced in weight!
- There's more fun food to fit the season.
- More trees have turned to fall colors.
In order to learn the full scope of October's update, be sure to read the State of the Code
and Developer's Notes, October
. With the one-year anniversary of Asheron's Call soon approaching, take part in this incredible on-going story -- and we'll see you in Dereth!
Original Link (now dead) - http://classic.zone.msn.com/asheronscall/news/octbuild.asp
October Developer's Notes
October 10, 2000
Here are just some of the additions made in the October 10 game update, Hollow Victory. The following list is comprised of detailed notes straight from the developers themselves. For a summary of things of most interest, be sure to consult the official event roll-out article, Hollow Victory.
Detailed Notes for Builds 2440-2444:
- Components lightened from 5 to >4. Yippee!
- Atlan Stones are now on a 25 second respawn rate.
- Cragstone, Hebian-to, and Zaikhal librarians now buy back books. It's the book buyback program!
- Buy/sell rates for the Hebian-to and Zaikhal librarians have been updated.
- The trapped chest in Sylsfear wasn't working correctly. This bug was found and fixed.
- Sylsfear treasure chest now has the correct resist lockpick stat.
- Tufa bowyer now sells trade notes in non-reversed order.
- Aerfalle's pallium was covering players' heads when it shouldn't have been. This has been fixed.
- The floating shield in Trothyr's Rest dungeon has been moved closer to the wall. Also added some other decorations to that room to spice it up.
- Fixed the use-description of condensed chorizite oil so that players won't think it can be further strengthened.
- Switched Lugian hammers to use Axe skill instead of Mace skill. This fix will also affect all Lugian hammers currently in existence.
- Increased the awareness range for niffis and ursuin.
- Moved the menhirs in the Bethel dungeon closer to the walls. Players were getting stuck behind menhirs if they fell onto them from above or jumped onto them by accident.
- Placed edge-sticking Shadows in Caulnalain. They will no longer fall off ledges to pursue people.
- Relic Bones now cast summon portal spells to Aerlinthe.
- The Soul Fearing Vestry quest (other wise known as the South Dires quest) has been fixed. The generator link to the first lich was broken.
- Spires in Arwic and Tufa have been altered (some removed, some added).
- Ursuin heads now cause piercing damage. They had been causing bludgeoning damage.
- Updated the *bow deep* emote text to say: "bows deeply."
- Moved Aerlinthe navigation channel pylons another 1.5 meters out from the landblock boundary, eliminating the rare stuck player issue. This also eliminates a monster path-planning AI camping exploit.
- Quest flag for the Mage Academy key has been set to 7 days now, instead of 14 days.
- Humans now drink with their right hands. A VERY MUCH requested feature from our users ever since Jesse made mugs, etc., wieldable. For social occasions.
November Heaume Preview
Original Link (now dead) - No Link Available
Attention heaume fans!
October 17, 2000
In the November update, we'll be reverting all existing heaumes back to the way they were before the "Hollow Victory" event. If you prefer the newer, smooth style helms, they will be available as "armets." And, all newly created heaumes will be modified to look like the included pictures, but will still retain the character of the classic original heaume.
State of the Code
Original Link (now dead) - http://www.zone.com/asheronscall/news/ASHEnewscodestate1.asp
State of the Code
October 12, 2000
This is the latest installment of a frequently updated series of reports on "The State of the Code" for Asheron's Call. In this report, we keep players informed as to the state of some of the more technical aspects of AC, particularly bugs we are working on and technical limitations of which you should be aware. Look at the “News”page on the Zone for other articles about recent additions and changes to AC.
Every time I enter one of the Menhir Ring portals, I get transported back to the surface. What is going on?
The Fenmalain, Caulnalain and Shendolain Menhir Ring dungeons were removed from the game in October. However, the portals to these dungeons were inadvertently left in. If you go through these portals, you will end up back on the surface. Also, if you have tied to these dungeons, you will now find that your portal recall spell will not lead you anywhere. Please note, however, that the Fenmalain, Caulnalain and Shendolain Vestibules and their accompanying quests are still in the game and ready for adventurers.
Why are there still stars in the sky sometimes during the day?
There is a bug that makes it possible for stars to randomly fade back in during the daytime. There are no other side effects from this bug except for being able to see some stars during the day.
Why can I no longer give away my Black Boulder that I got on Aerlinthe Isle?
The Black Boulder has been made non-transferable. It will no longer be lost on death.
State of the Code Archive
Below are items from previous State of the Code articles. Some items have been retired from the archive below because we believe they have been fixed. If they turn out not to have been fixed, we will revive those items.
Major game update of October 10, 2000
In the early hours of October 10, we introduced another major update. Our ever-evolving storyline continues as amazing new adventures have been added to Dereth. There were also a few bugs that were fixed in this update as well. Look for news articles on the Zone that will further tell you of the changes made.
When I dyed my clothes/armor, I failed and now the Armor Level is worse. What happened?
Be warned: if you try to dye armor or clothes and fail, an Armor Level degradation will occur. Make sure you are high enough in the necessary skills before attempting to dye your armor or clothes.
I gave an item to the collector and he did not return anything to me, including my original item. Is he a thief?
No, he is not a thief. Each collector in the game is different from all others. Each has his own selection of items that he will take and return something else for. If you give a collector something that he does not collect, he may simply keep it and not return anything. You should talk to the collector first to make sure he takes what you are giving him.